University building, Renovation

Name

University language centre

Description

University building, Renovation

Client

University of Helsinki

Year

2009

Size br-m²

4 200

The Finnish Business School at Fabianinkatu 26 was built in 1906-1907, based on the designs of architect Kauno S. Kallio. At the end of the 1920s, a residential and classroom building was built on the same plot at Vuorikatu 5, according to the drawings of Väinö Vähäkallio. In 1971, theSchool of Economics moved to new premises and Fabianinkatu 26 was taken over by the University of Helsinki Language Centre.

During the renovation works, Fabianinkatu 26 was kept in educational use by the language centre, and office premises and a street-level lecture hall were built at Vuorikatu 5. The building was renovated in accordance with building protection principles. Particularly valuable features include the main staircase, the ballroom, the layout of the building, and the granite facade of Fabianinkatu. Accessibility and connections were improved with a new elevator outside the building frame and a connection to the basement floor of the learning centre in Alexandria. The building services were completely renovated, except for the radiator network. New ventilation rooms were built in the attic.